ABOUT 100 RESILIENT CITIES
100 Resilient Cities – Pioneered by The Rockefeller Foundation (100RC) is an organization dedicated to helping cities better prepare for and quickly rebound from 21st century shocks and stresses. Over the next few years, 100 Resilient Cities will select and work with 100 member cities from around the globe for whom it plans to provide four kinds of value, to start: 1) Financial and other support for putting in place a new city resilience leader, a Chief Resilience Officer (CRO); 2) Support for development of a robust resilience strategy; 3) Management of a peer-to-peer network of member cities who can learn from and help each other; and 4) Connecting member cities to solutions, service providers, and other partners who can help them to implement their resilience strategies. 100RC seeks to increase awareness of the importance of resilience thinking, to catalyze a new community of urban resilience practitioners and spur the growth of a robust ecosystem of resilience-focused solutions and solution providers.
ABOUT THE ROLE
100 Resilient Cities is looking for a Program Manager in the London office to support the Africa City and Practice Management (CPM) team. The Program Manager will report directly to the Associate Director for Africa and will cover a portfolio of cities in North, East and Southern Africa. Program Managers work collaboratively to provide strategic and program planning; project management support; technical and organizational assistance; and facilitate efficient and quality communications with our member cities and internal teams.
Externally, the Program Manager will assist the Associate Director to skillfully manage and lead an ambitious urban resilience agenda with senior city leaders, national governments, community stakeholders, academia and private sector partners. PMs are responsible for coordinating and managing the delivery of local events, helping with local/cultural adaptation of our program including translation of materials, conducting research which helps the Associate Director and 100RC senior leadership navigate current affairs within the city and region, and provides support for presentations, workshops, conferences, and other local activities.
Internally, Program Mangers work in close collaboration and report to CPM Associate Directors, as well as collaborate with other parts of the 100RC organization to provide quality assurance of milestones and deliverables from member cities. PMs are able to skillfully manage resources, timelines, vendors, and budgets with transparency and foresight. PMs also provide diligent systems documentation to improve our global coordination and efficacy. This is also are critical to our agenda to develop a common global practice of resilience, as the PM facilitates capturing, sharing and distributing knowledge and lessons across 100RC, and in partnership with our Knowledge and Impact unit.
PMs must demonstrate flexibility, adaptability, an interest in supporting a collaborative team, and exceptional project management skills. Duties include, but are not limited to:
1. External Project Management
- Work with the Associate Director on a portfolio of cities in North, East, and Southern Africa to ensure strategic relationships with city governments and partners
- Navigate a high degree of complexity in scheduling, organizing and managing meetings, follow up and tracking action items
- Coordinate and facilitate information exchange with confidence and accuracy on behalf of the Associate Director
- Prepare, create, and customize materials as needed for city engagements, general outreach, meetings, presentations, cultural variations, etc.
- Support and manage key external events and activities
- Plan, manage and oversee the quality and accuracy of core in-city activities such as city orientation, agenda setting workshops, and city resilience strategies
- Help develop briefing materials, power point presentations, and summaries
2. Internal Project Management
- Oversee and ensure of progress along a critical path of milestones from member cities; brief and elevate on progress, performance, and quality
- Proactively manage timelines, data, and deliverables; actively problem solve and resolve challenges arising as cities develop and implement resilience strategies
- Work closely and coordinate with contractors and partners to oversee budgets, resources, and grants. Collaborate internally to share and distribute information across 100RC teams
- Ensure proper documentation and data management in systems to track city performance (Salesforce, Excel)
- Manage the production and translation of 100RC materials and strategy deliverables appropriate for the local context and information sharing across 100RC
- Preparing materials for internal governance approval, review, and communications to the 100RC executive team
3. Information Sharing
- Coordinate across 100RC to improve communications and streamline systems for efficiency in support of team operations (city & practice management, network, knowledge, and city solutions).
- Document, capture, and distribute lessons, insights and resources within the portfolio synthesis
- Elevate opportunities and challenges emerging in city to appropriate teams; coordinate and communicate effectively
- Support and brief the Associate Director about relevant insights, opportunities and changes occurring within other 100RC teams when representing their portfolio during internal and external meetings
- Build region-specific knowledge and actionable insights for the Associate Director and 100RC team to better interface with the cities in the portfolio including political, diplomatic and policy information.
- Support Associate Director with developing understanding city resilience needs, key actors within the city, and other information to improve our partnership and their resilience performance.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree with 3-5 year’s related experience in fields such as international development, urban planning, public health, social equity, city management, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; fluency in English required, and fluency with at least one portfolio-specific language (Amharic, Arabic, French, Kinyarwanda, Kiswahili) is strongly preferred
- Authentic connection to urban resilience and urban planning in Sub-Saharan Africa, and passion for 100RC's mission.
- Experience engaging with city and national governments in Sub-Saharan Africa as well as actors and organizations across sectors (public, private, nonprofit)
- Strong political acumen and influencing skills for working with senior government officials including mayors and ministers.
- Exceptional project management skills and can skillfully use software to produce outputs including Excel, Powerpoint, Salesforce, etc.
- Solid operational skills, including ability to work and deliver projects to deadlines independently and proactively
- Ability to effectively collaborate with and across teams; and seek and provide constructive feedback
- Strong interpersonal skills; intercultural knowledge and appreciation; and strategic partnership building skills.
- Must be authorized to work in the UK.
100 Resilient Cities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
100 Resilient Cities is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. To this end, 100 Resilient Cities ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful alien status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces.