ABOUT 100 RESILIENT CITIES
100 Resilient Cities – Pioneered by The Rockefeller Foundation (100RC) is a new organization dedicated to helping cities to be better prepared for and quickly rebound from 21st century shocks and stresses. 100 Resilient Cities has selected and is working with 100 member cities from around the globe for whom it provides four kinds of value, to start: 1) Financial and other support for putting in place a new city resilience leader, a Chief Resilience Officer; 2) Support for development of a robust resilience strategy; 3) Management of a peer-to-peer network of member cities who can learn from and help each other; and 4) Connecting member cities to curated solutions of services provided by Platform Partners who can help them to implement their resilience strategies. 100RC seeks to increase awareness of the importance of resilience thinking, to catalyze a new community of urban resilience practitioners and spur the growth of a robust ecosystem of resilience-focused solutions and solution providers.
ABOUT THE ROLE
100RC is hiring a Director of Human Capital, a seasoned professional who is passionate about building an extraordinary organization that seeks to catalyze a global movement in urban resilience. To do this, 100RC is building a new community of urban resilience practitioners, which begins with investing in our own team to make this change happen.
In the last two years, our team has grown exponentially and expanded to three regional centers (London, Singapore, Mexico City) in addition to our headquarters in New York. The Director of Human Capital’s role is to leverage the global team’s expertise, as well as the unique culture 100RC has built, to serve as the ultimate business partner to our staff globally.
The successful candidate will be a strong coach with an ability to diagnose challenges in a team. S/he is a problem-solver above all else, a direct and candid communicator, and a thoughtful and diplomatic change agent who understands there are tensions to balance in this kind of diverse, global organization. S/he is an expert in understanding organizational dynamics, and creating the right structures to address challenges that are inherent in a geographically and functionally diverse team. S/he is a natural manager able to direct our teams and senior leaders through complex and changing environments.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leading on recruitment – manage all searches and work closely with the leadership team to ensure the best fit of both core functional competencies and personal commitment to 100RC’s work.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in conferences and educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Guides management and employee actions by researching, developing, policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines with HR Manager; communicating and enforcing organization values.
- Leading all elements of strategy design and execution for 100RC’s internal staff training and development. S/he will be leading the annual design of our staff training strategy, including budgets, and delivery of programs and processes. The successful candidate will take a thoughtful and strategic approach to prioritizing these initiatives each year, informed heavily by 100RC’s organizational goals over the next few years.
- Overseeing execution of our HR strategy. Deliver standard processes (performance management, talent assessment, annual promotions, compensation review, discipline, terminations, and coaching/counselling) across a global team, ensuring appropriate level of transparency in how HR works and incorporating input and decision-making at varying levels of the organization.
- Driving employee engagement. Develop the best tools to understand employee engagement and feedback and share those insights with senior leadership on a consistent basis with a solutions-oriented approach.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 10-15 years of HR Business Partner/Generalist experience across a range of competencies
- Bachelor’s degree is required; a relevant advanced degree is strongly preferred
- The successful candidate will have sufficient seniority, including presence and gravitas, to be a key strategic business partner influencing senior management on HR issues
- Strong relationship skills and versatility to interact effectively with employees and senior management
- Experience in a fast-paced, global organization is strongly preferred
- Direct professional experience in urban/resilience issues, is preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills: a candid and assertive team player with a sense of humor
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to communicate HR initiatives in an engaging and succinct way
- Excellent management skills that bring out the strengths of others; demonstrated ability to coach others to help them to be highly effective leaders in their own right.
- A natural intellectual curiosity and ability to build a strong network of relationships with thought leaders in this space, and the capacity to effectively enlist and engage leading thinkers and doers to support our work.
- A spirit of optimism and resilience that allows you to move through challenging circumstances
- Extensive experience in staff development, senior-level coaching and organizational design
- Experience in compensation and benefits, including benchmarking processes and an understanding of international benefits components
- Experience in employment law in a range of geographies that demonstrates an understanding of the right questions to ask and where to get the answers, ensuring we are compliant with local practices.
- Dedication to working within the non-profit sector, with an understanding of the sector’s inherent challenges; prior experience in the sector – as a team member, volunteer, or board member is desirable
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Equal Opportunity Employer
100 Resilient Cities is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. To this end, 100 Resilient Cities ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful alien status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces.